The Finance Sector Union is the union for one of the biggest and fastest growing industries in Australia. We organise workers across Australia’s bank, insurance, credit union and superannuation employers. We play a vital role of empowering our members to work together and campaign to secure dignity and respect at work. Our members fight for and deliver improved working entitlements in an evolving industry.
We have an exciting opportunity in our Western Australia Branch, based in Perth for a Field Organiser.
Our Field Organiser teams are responsible for recruiting and activating finance workers and identifying and developing workplace leaders to act collectively. A key responsibility for a Field Organiser is the effective development and implementation of campaign plans in their patch of the industry.
Essential Experience and Qualifications
- Experience working for or being actively involved in a trade union or similar not for profit organisation.
- Comprehensive understanding and application of the principles and techniques of organising or building power with a volunteer network.
- Ability to motivate and develop workplace representatives, leaders and activists OR demonstrated experience working with volunteers as a leader in a campaign setting.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- The ability to work autonomously as well as in a team environment.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and planning and the ability to problem solve and come up with creative solutions.
- A demonstrated commitment to and enthusiasm for trade unionism and/or social justice.
- A current drivers licence.
- Strong time management and personal organisational skills, including the ability to perform work within specified timelines and plan work systematically and effectively.
- Knowledge of contemporary industrial relations issues and practices.
- Demonstrated experience representing employees with workplace grievances’.
- An understanding of power relationships and techniques to build power working with volunteers.
- Capacity to occasionally work outside of business hours and travel in regional Western Australia.
Applications must address all the above selection criteria.
Previous applicants need not apply.
As stipulated in the FSU Staff agreement 2016 the salary shall be set at tier 1 of the organiser pay scale, currently $63,013 per annum with a 9 day fortnight. The FSU also offers other excellent working conditions including employer superannuation contributions of 15%.
For further information contact Mandy Gardner on (08) 9220 3122.
Send Application to
Amanda Gardner, Finance Sector Union, Western Australia Branch PO Box 2602 Perth WA 001
Or by email to
Closing date: 5.00pm Tuesday, 31 October 2017